Sunday 20 October 2013

Reflections








 I must apologize as it has been over 12 months since I added anything to this blog .......... a lot has happened in that time including a trip overseas to visit friends in Europe and family in the UK.  My stallion broke his leg and had to be put down ............ and at the moment I'm still doing rehabilitation after a shoulder operation.  Hopefully now I will keep a regular update going until I run out of audio to do YouTube clips .
Once again a big thank you to Nick Hopkins for cleaning up the audio and then mixing the sound.



         REFLECTIONS
  
I roll out of my swag and put my boots upon my feet,
I straighten up my blankets and roll up my old ground sheet.
I stagger to the fire and I fill the billy up,
Make a drink of tea and then I have a cup.
I sip my tea and fill my pipe as I sit in quiet reflection,
Of what I done before and doing now I give my life careful inspection.

I think of my daughter in the city, my son away at school,
Here’s me sitting in the bush and I wonder am I fool.
I think about my fifty acres and my wife back there at home,
And I wonder if I’m stupid for being here alone.
You know I love them dearly they mean the world to me,
But I’m a country bloke and I love the bush you see.

I like being in the bush gazing at the stars at night,
For tis a vision splendid, oh Lord what a sight.
To see the morning star as it begins to rise,
Then up comes the sun and dazzles these old eyes.
Well I don’t miss the towns with people everywhere,
Or all the flaming bullshit that goes on in the city square.

Some men are born to ride horses, some to sit at a desk,
Thank God I’m one of the former; thank God that I was blessed.
Some are born to work in a factory, some to push an ink pen,
But I was born to work cattle but I don’t mind a change now and then.
As a babe I might have slept in a cradle or it might have been a cot,
But now I’ve got me old swag and I thank heaven for what I’ve got.

I’ve got the beauty of the bush, I’ve got miles of open space,
I don’t have to live in the city with its never ending rat race.
And in the morning peak hour when there’s cars backed up for miles,
There’s grim faced commuters every where no-ones got a smile.
When the cars clog up the roadways as every one tries to get to work,
I’m saddled up before the sun and my duties I don’t shirk.


City peoples work is just a job; their existence full of strife,
They have everything they want but still they’re bored with life.
They have their newspaper, television and of course the electric light,
They can light their gas to put the billy on in the middle of the night.
But I don’t yearn for what they have; I don’t think they’re very lucky,
In fact I think the life they lead, to me would be pretty mucky.

I have the beauty of the night time sky when the stars are in my eyes,
And all those brilliant changing colours as the sun begins to rise.
My horse steps out quite freely, for I look after him real well,
It’s a pity you can’t understand him; he has so many stories he could tell.
I look after my stock whip carefully, for ‘tis the tool of my trade,
And my home is the saddle and my swag where ere’ it’s laid.

© Corin Linch    May-June 2001
Rewrite-February 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment