Monday 4 November 2013

The Cup 2013

This was this mornings radio poem as I told the announcer I generally name the winner and bugger me if I didn't name Fiorente the winner.  Sadly Verema broke a leg and had to be put down and really spoiled what was a great race for Gai and Damien Oliver.





                             The CUP 2013

The first Tuesday in November and it’s the race that stops a nation,
Television sets across the country will be tuned to a certain station.
Radio’s Australia wide will all broadcast this great event,
Some will call it a waste, valuable working time misspent.

Now we are down to twenty four the Melbourne Cup field is set,
The early fancy isn’t starting; bad luck if you had a pre-post bet.
Horses from all around the world are here for this great race,
Luck, speed, stamina will be needed if they want to fill a place.

This year is lacking something the Cups King doesn’t have a starter,
Precedence just missed out; the committee ignored the public charter.
All these overseas horses, some with an unpronounceable name,
But without Bart things are really different, they will not be the same.

The best Cup field we’ve ever had, I believe I’ve heard that said before,
Still when the starting gates spring open there will be a deafening roar.
My selection for Australia’s greatest race, mmm well really I don’t know,
That’s why I’m still reciting poetry on the Dawn Patrol radio show.

But twist my arm I’ll say Verema, Simenon or maybe Sea Moon for the race,
Or maybe even Fiorente will do better than last year’s second place.
So like nearly everyone else in Oz, I really do not have a clue,
But if you have a wager I wish all the very best of luck to you.

                                                            © Corin Linch 4/11/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment