Sunday 22 December 2013

The Great Australian Freedom







The GREAT AUSTRALIAN FREEDOM

Our forebears came to this country many in convict ships and chains,
And backs showed the scars where the cat-o-nine tails had reined.
Australian culture has developed since the time of the first fleet,
It has never been an easy task to put this great country on her feet.

This country was founded on Christian principles, but we allow freedom of religion here,
And even if you pray to a different God, you won’t have to hide or live in fear
We have no national motto but `In Our Mate’s We Trust`,
Here everyone gets a fair go, because that’s an Australian must.

Australia is an English speaking country, and here we say thank you and please,
Our national language is not Italian, Arabic, Polish or Lebanese.
We are proud of our Flag, our sporting achievements, and proud of the Southern Cross?
And in settling this vast country many people suffered hardship and loss.

Australians have fought in many battles, sometimes incurring a huge loss of life,
Yet a true Aussie will always stand ready to help a mate, especially if he’s in strife.
Now that I’ve told you a few things about our history and heritage, perhaps you’ll begin to understand
Why Australians can be so parochial about this Great southern Land.
Like I said this is our country, our lifestyle, our land and our flag,
Yes, I’m bloody proud of it and on occasions it gives me cause to brag.
But strangers come here to live and then say they don’t like our regulations or our rules,
Their children often receive free education, but they don’t like what is taught in our schools.

They have come to this country to escape war, persecution and strife,
Yes, they say they left their homeland in search of a better way of life.
We’ll give them an equal opportunity and we’ll give them a fair go,
But don’t complain or start telling us how to run our show.

And if our national anthem offends you I suggest you live elsewhere,
But there is only one Australia, and our way of life is extremely rare.
No doubt some people will be offended because I speak my mind,
I’m only saying what many think; I don’t mean to be unkind.

But for people who are unhappy with their many freedom’s here,
Let me tell them something and I hope I make it crystal clear;
When they’ve finished whinging and wiping their tears on my sleeve;
Remember they can choose that other great Australian freedom;
`THE RIGHT TO BLOODY LEAVE`.


© Corin Linch 31/8/07 (Rewrite)

No comments:

Post a Comment