Sunday 15 June 2014

The Black Dog Returns



          The Black Dog Returns

There is a black dog hanging round and scratching at my gate,
For some unknown reason he seems to think he’s still my mate.
I tried to hunt the mongrel cos I don’t need a visit at this time,
But he keeps on scratching and insists he’s a mate of mine.

We were pretty much companions then he’d suddenly disappear,
Then when I was feeling down the bastard would suddenly reappear.
He would just come out of nowhere like a ghost on the breeze,
Wagging his tail wildly, the cur was so eager, me to please.

He is whimpering and scratching cos I won’t open up and let him in,
Saliva drips from his mouth and he looks at me with a very devilish grin,
I reckon he thinks I’m weak, all because I’ve nurtured him before,
But I’ll tell you something; that whimpering is so hard to ignore.

I head towards the gate, and watch as his excitement seems to grow,
But I’ve a trick up my sleeve and it’s one he doesn’t know.
With chain and a padlock called Love the gate I firmly lock,
The slavering beast is now yelping as he looks at me with shock.

With his tail between his legs as he slowly slinks away,
The black clouds covering the sky are now turning grey.
As the sun breaks through I realize the Black Dog has disappeared,
It’s amazing how you see the world; once the sky has cleared.

                                                © Corin Linch 24/5/14

No comments:

Post a Comment