Wednesday 17 December 2014

Christmas Day at Parron Place or Anywhere else in the Bush







            This was my first attempt at writing a Christmas poem.  Christmas Day at Parron Place I would always do the water run first thing Christmas morning I believed as the manager it was my responsibility and no-one else’s.  We always made the effort there to have all the tanks chock a block full Christmas Eve but every now and again disaster would strike and sure enough on that day of days one would find a leak and an empty tank  Of course when Dani and Ryan were very small they could not understand the necessity of the water run but as they got older they came to understand.  There biggest bug bear was the fact that they could not open there presents until the water run was done and I’d cooked up and eaten breakfast.  As they got older they would come with me and open the gates for me in the hope that we would get back to the house and the Christmas presents a little quicker.  I never realised at the time how precious those hours doing the Christmas Day water run with the kids were.  There were those that told me I should learn to delegate responsibility and still others who said that the stock will be right for one day.  I’ve yet to find a cow that can tell me it’s Christmas Day, they still need a drink and if the tank is empty thirsty cattle can do a lot of damage and the water run only took a couple of hours if everything was okay.

CHRISTMAS DAY at PARRON PLACE

Someone once told me I should learn how to delegate responsibility,
Then perhaps I could relax and take things easy during the Nativity.
But on Christmas Day at Parron Place I’d always do the water run,
The kids knew that no presents could be had until all the tanks were done.

Dani and Ryan weren’t best pleased there were times they would cry,
“What you got to check the water for Dad please won’t you tell us why?”
I’d tell them about stock, how they never knew it was Christmas Day,
Besides looking after the animals is how your father earns his pay.

I told them about the three wise men, and of peace and good will,
About the animals in the stable all wanting to eat and drink their fill.
Debbie told me worrying would give me ulcers or even send me grey,
But once every thing was checked I could relax and maybe enjoy the day.

If I didn’t check the stock I’d worry as I tried to eat my Christmas feast,
But by checking them, I’d know all was well with both man and beast.
While driving around the water tanks it gave me a chance to think,
So I’d try and come up with a story that would make both kids blink.

I told them I’d seen Santa’s reindeer eating some of the Tagasaste once,
“Don’t be silly Dad; you’re just kidding us and being a stupid dunce.”
As the years past and they grew older, I think they began to understand,
About the importance of looking after your stock and life on the land.

And as they grew and got big enough they’d come and open gates,
It was all part of their cunning plan to make sure Santa wasn’t late.
Once we got home I would tell them that first I have to break my fast,
Then we would dole out the presents and they could open them at last.

Sometimes it wasn’t all plain sailing, especially if I found a water leak,
More than likely it would be on tank we’d been battling to fill for a week.
Or maybe late in the afternoon Christmas day I might have to start a bore,
No gate openers then, they’d be playing with their toys upon the floor.

“Who is going to keep me company?” I’d ask hoping to get a reaction,
But accompanying Dad and opening gates had sure lost its attraction.
Those days are long gone and the kids are both grown up adults now,
But the tanks still need checking everyday so there’s water for the cows.

Rewritten  17/12/14 © Corin Linch  14/11/05

No comments:

Post a Comment